Tuesday, April 10, 2012

BP2 Employees

Remember where you are....BP does not stand for British Petroleum.

My current employment seldom provides 40 hours of work. Fortunately, I am still eligible for some unemployment benefits. But I'm still unable to meet my basic expenses.

While continuing to seek out a full time job that would actually meet my budget requirements and would not lead to a meltdown, I keep rehearsing interviews...

THEM: Please explain the large number of absences during the final year at your last place of employment.

ME: Well, it's actually kind of a funny story. Layoffs were beginning and the environment was increasingly stressful. Then more stressful stuff happened, I had a meltdown, then self-medicated by taking all the pills in my house. I spent a week at a retreat where they helped me relax and develop coping skills and gave me a list of vitamins and such that would be helpful. Then I went back to work for a few weeks, where it was obvious that I still needed to practice my coping skills. So I did. For a month. I really wanted to perfect my coping skills so I took another few months to practice. When I got back, I had a little accident which led to the claim I filed, but I did stay at work. Shortly thereafter, I was invited to a meeting with some other employees and we were invited to leave the building. I was surprised because I had already demonstrated how much trouble I had coping with stress.

******

THEM: The only opening we have available is on third shift. Would that be a problem for you?

ME: Probably not a big problem. I might have a problem staying alert since I do have to take one of those anti-something drugs at night. That wouldn't be a problem, would it?

******

THEM: Are you able to perform well in a high energy environment?

ME: Not a problem! I may sometimes appear to be a little slow, but my mind is going 100 miles an hour! There's nothing I can't do! You'll get quite a bargain with me because I can easily do the work of two or even three people! Think how much money I'll save the company! I will be in a room by myself, won't I?

*****

THEM: Describe the environment in which you are most productive.

ME: I will be able to discuss my uh... accomoda... work station adjustment needs with HR, right?

THEM: We'll be in touch. Thanks for coming in.


************

I've read a couple of good books about BPs at work, found some websites that provided helpful information, and I must admit that the strategies suggested could work. But not today. Not in this work environment. Especially for those of us over 50.

More about this in a future post...when my optimism returns.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry work is such a struggle right now. There are many articles and books that suggest what we should ask for in the work environment, but honestly, unless you are lucky enough to have a really accepting job with flexible hours (most people don't), you don't really need a job (most people do), or you are so brilliant people will do anything to hire you (most of us are not), then it is hard to get what we need. In the end this needs to be a culture shift and policy change we fight for.

    As far as interviews, you know you don't have to tell them why you had the large number of absences. Did you put it on your resume as periods of time rather than just list it as one chunk of time? If you were still employed, you don't need to list out the back and forth.

    Sometime you have to fight for the job you deserve and work out the details once you get there. Medical diagnosis is not something you are required to tell potential employers and they are not allowed to ask about it anyway.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the ways I screw up the courage to make changes is to immediately imagine worst case scenarios. While I know that employers can't ask certain questions, I also know that I'm the kind of person who will run off at the mouth if the door is even one inch open.

      My last job was eliminated soon after a suicide attempt and a big bad episode at work. I don't think I'll ever be able to return to working in an office.

      I am fortunate in that I have found work that suits me in many ways - flexible schedule, people who are always appreciative of my help, and no co-workers to feed my paranoia. Working as a caregiver is a good fit in many ways, but getting 40 hours of work each week is not always possible. I've tried accepting shifts that no one else wants, but I've found that I really have problems just working more than 4 or 5 hours at a time. It all gets to be a little too much.

      My current solution: work as a caregiver as much as possible and do odd jobs or freelance work to supplement my salary. I'm struggling financially, but staying relatively sane.

      One thing that I love about being a UU is the work for social justice. In my congregation, no one else seems to have an interest in mental health issues. I have only shared my diagnosis with a small group of friends, but I have shared by victories over depressive episodes with the congregation. I admire you for sharing this aspect of your life. Has this led to your congregation taking on problems with mental health care?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete