Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tomorrow starts a new year

Every now and then I recognize that something I say may actually be rather profound.  Not profound enough to use language that would convey my faith in the profundity of the utterance, but more a tentative "it's okay."

This New Years Eve I kept wondering why all the fuss?  Why do some people insist on being awake at 1:01 am on January 1?  Sure, we start using a new calendar, unless we have several that begin at different points in the year and last any where from 12 to 18 months to several years.  I used to have an issue with calendars and clocks.  I always had at least one of each in every room of any place I lived. And, yes, that included the bathroom where I had to make sure the clock could withstand the steam.  I now have a clock in one of my two rooms, no calendar on any wall, a single calendar in my bag (but it's BIG -- both the calendar and the bag), and I have restrained myself from using the calendar on my phone, but have found it useful to use the clock and use the scheduling feature so that I arrive at appointments on time. And now I can program up to 15 snoozes before I drag myself out of bed!

Any day can mark the beginning of a new year if you mark the passage of milestones or anniversaries or birthdays or any other high point, low point, or random point in life.  I like to mark the beginning of another adventure, and since I believe anything and everything can be an adventure, there is always a reason to celebrate a new start.

Yes, I am back on my meds and probably in a mania type state that induces the creation of run-on sentences, despite my usually overwhelming urge to edit myself down to the most succinct phrasing of any concept.

Tomorrow I wake up to a new year, one in which I take better care of myself, and keep making good choices.  If that doesn't work, I'll reset for the next day.  I'll keep trying.  And maybe switch to decaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment