Friday, September 2, 2011

Moodscope and how it can help

One of the most useful tools that I've discovered is www.moodscope.com .  This site was created by someone who has experienced depression.  By describing twenty different feelings, a numerical value (from 0 to 100) is assigned that indicates your mood for the day.  Lately I've been skipping days which is a sure sign that I need to review the level of care I'm providing for myself.  The best results are obtained by recording your score every day.

My favorite feature is the graph.  Your daily scores are plotted on the graph and you can quickly see whether your mood is headed up or down.  Now that I've been using it for a while, I know that my lowest days may be in the twenties and my highest days are usually in the mid-seventies.  I know that immediately after that high day, I'll see a plummet, a jump over the cliff.  And that's normal for me.

Because you can review your scores over several months, you can also determine your cycle.  For example, I'm cycling from seven to ten days.  This is fantastic information for me!  All those creative projects I've started, including this blog, are things I work on during the three to five days before I reach the summit.  Knowing when I'll reach the summit allows me to plan for the abyss.  Reading one of my selections of humor books  (favorite is A Subtreasury of American Humor) or watching a comedy (my current favorite is the Naked Gun triology or the first season of 30 Rock) are guaranteed to make me laugh, or at least grin.  I try to schedule lunch with a friend or a workout session for those days when I know that I'll need a lift.

Daily email reminders may be received and you can even allow your doctor, therapist, or loved one to see your results.  The email reminders are cheery and contain personal accounts of the creator's challenges and how they were overcome.  The email reminders alone are worth the time it takes to register for this site.

Go on now.  It's time for you to check it out.  www.moodscope.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment