Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Starting a New Job

If I had planned this better....if I had planned this at all, I would have scheduled my first day at my new job to coincide with about day 5 or 6 of my cycle.  It's not going so well (keep in mind this is day 3).

I have been unemployed for 9 months, with only 1 interview, 1 temp assignment, and a semi-aggressive self-marketing campaign.  The COBRA coverage was too expensive.  Walgreens has a very good prescription savings program which has made the difference between my buying my meds or juggling doses to maintain.  Things have seemed grim at times (especially days 1 - 3), but I've been able to count on days 5-7+ to help me maintain perspective.  I have survived.

The self-marketing paid off with an assignment spending 2 hours 1 day a week as a companion to a charming 85 year old woman.  It's been a rewarding experience; we have a weekly tea party where we'll chat, with very little coaxing from me.  It feels like an equal exchange.  An AHA moment!  I recognized that this type of service is in demand as more people try to find ways to remain in their homes as they age.  I crafted a kick-ass cover letter and got a job!

Because there are certification requirements, right now I am limited to companionship assignments.  It is hard for case managers to find 40 hours of work for me each week.  I am making plans to get the needed training.  But what I've been discovering in the past two days is that maybe this is/isn't a perfect fit for me for the following reasons:

My schedule is fluid:  Down side - I don't know from week to week when or where I'll be working.  I've missed morning meds one day.  Another day I felt drained at the end of my shift, fell asleep right after getting home and missed my night meds.  Up side - A flexible schedule allows me to continue doing some of the volunteer work I've enjoyed during unemployment.  Many of my clients will have dementia and may be able to start each day with a clean slate.  I've been able to keep my frustrations inside, but I have to use old tricks to  wash them down the drain when I get home.

I work alone:  Down side - There is no one to provide feedback on the performance of my duties.  There is no one to remind me that it's not necessarily my fault when my client is just having a bad day.  Up side -   I have the freedom to be creative in my discovery of a new client.

I must take extra good care of myself:  Down side - Fluid schedule means that I have to work harder to maintain a regular daily schedule.  I feel the need to keep my "no trespassing" wall up so that I don't take on the problems of others -- I can't be effective if I can't maintain a safe distance.  This is draining so I need to find another approach to this.  When breakfast is skipped, a protein bar can't be lunch.  Up side - I will be taking better care of myself.

I must have an income so I must work so I absolutely must take excellent care of myself -- mind, body, and soul.

More on this another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment