Saturday, December 3, 2011

Trigger Two Identified: Sickness

I've come full circle here. I hit crisis mode when I was sick and, now that I am again dealing with a cold or some sort of annoying bug, I'm realizing the impact of even a small change in health.

In contrast to last time that I felt ill, I have been taking a multi-symptom (without alcohol) cold/flu medicine. It hasn't caused any conflict with my meds and, because it helps relieve headache and congestion, it helps me avoid fuzzy thinking. I have had fewer instances of missing or delaying my meds. Adequate rest also promotes better self-care.

The lesson for me is that some things that I suspect are not good for me can actually be helpful in moderation. I have to be willing to safely explore all options for keeping myself healthy and to consult with my caregivers when I need guidance. My view needs to be more holistic, not locked into a separation of mind and body health. When I do X, my life is better. When I do Y, my life is not better. Those are the limits I will aim to place on my view of well-being.

Because I am on a very low dose of my meds, it is more important to take them every day. If I had an automobile that only had a two gallon gas tank, I would need to refuel daily in order to meet my daily transportation needs. Why have I been expecting to maintain good health with less than the full amount of fuel needed to lead a full life?

I think I've successfully hung up my super woman cape.

No comments:

Post a Comment