Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Trigger One Identified: Low Oxygen

I was weepy and agitated and panicky upon awakening. A nasty, nasty headache. I've felt this way for a couple of mornings lately. Well, today I identified the common factor -- breathing problems.

Part 1: Yesterday I did some intensive cleaning, including soaking water bottles in a bleach solution. Since my sense of smell is very bad, I didn't realize how strong the odor was nor how much my hands smelled of bleach.

Part 2: I have also been burning a candle at night -- usually a tea light, but sometimes a votive. Last night there was a storm, wind roaring, lights flickering as though the power was about to go out and I don't like those conditions. I grew up in tornado country and I am trained to stay alert during storms, seek cover under certain circumstances, and keep emergency supplies close at hand. I decided to save the batteries in my flashlight and kept a succession of votives burning all night. (I have never been able to fall asleep if I know that the power is out.) I dozed off and on all through the night.

Part 3: My apartment is drafty so I've not worried about lack of oxygen. However, in winter many of my neighbors take advantage of the wood burning fireplaces in the units. With certain weather conditions, the smoke stays low and it penetrates the other units.

Part 4: I have asthma. I have not been using my maintenance drug as prescribed (Yes, I know that it doesn't work if I don't use it). I did not have an asthma attack, but I would bet that the old peak flow meter would have indicated a problem.

Conclusion: Take all meds as prescribed. Don't burn candles all night. Ventilate the apartment when using strong smelling chemicals. DON'T use strong smelling chemicals. If these conditions are not met, don't be surprised if there is less than optimal brain functioning.

Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment